Local Focus, National Acclaim
Sarasota Memorial Health Care System is a regional medical center offering Southwest Florida’s greatest breadth and depth of care. With its flagship, 895-bed, acute-care hospital in Sarasota and the new 110-bed SMH-Venice hospital, the system has been consistently recognized as one of the nation’s largest, and best, with superior patient outcomes, advanced specialties and a range of preventive screening, diagnostic and post-acute services. Sarasota Memorial aims to offer our community the highest-quality healthcare and thee best patient experience in the nation.
Some of Sarasota Memorial’s accomplishments that recognize our focus on your care:
- Highest 5-Star national rating for quality
- Sarasota Memorial is proud to be among the handful of hospitals nationwide that carry the federal Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services (CMS) top rating for overall quality and safety. Sarasota Memorial is the only hospital in Florida to have consistently earned the top rating since the rating system launched in 2016.
- “A” Grade for Patient Safety
- Sarasota Memorial Hospital received an “A” for patient safety, earning a top spot among America’s safest hospitals in a national safety study released by The Leapfrog Group in 2021.
- U.S. News & World Report top performer
- SMH earned the top “high performing” ratings in 15 procedures and conditions evaluated in the U.S. News’ 2021-2022 “Best Hospitals” report.
- Nationally accredited bariatrics program
- SMH’s Bariatric and Metabolic Center is accredited as a higher level “Comprehensive Center” under the Metabolic and Bariatric Surgery Accreditation and Quality Improvement Program. The designation recognizes that it meets the highest standards established in the nation for patient care and that its surgeons have the specialized skills, experience and successful outcomes to manage patients with complex disease.
- Named among the World’s Best Hospitals by Newsweek, 2022
- Sarasota Memorial Hospital was once again named one of the World’s Best Hospitals in the 2022 global ranking of hospitals compiled by Newsweek magazine, in collaboration with global market research and consumer data company Statista Inc. SMH was the only southwest Florida hospital to make the list, which spotlighted more than 2,200 hospitals across 27 countries.
- Named among Top 100 Hospitals in U.S. 2020
- Sarasota Memorial Hospital is one of the 100 Top Hospitals in the US, named by IBM Watson Health in 2020. Chosen from 3,134 hospitals across the country, the Top 100 Hospitals outperformed peer-group hospitals on all evaluated clinical and operational performance benchmarks.
- Consistently awarded Magnet Recognition from the American Nurses Credentialing Center (ANCC), the most prestigious distinction for nursing excellence and high-quality patient care.
- Accredited by The Joint Commission for top-quality, safe care.