Meet Our Bariatric Surgeons
Riding his motorcycle, everyone knew Joe better as “Big Dog.” But obesity comes with a heavy cost, and at age 56, Big Dog was running out of road, a borderline diabetic with high blood pressure and heart disease. Then his doctor told him about the Sarasota Memorial Bariatric and Metabolic Health Center. Today, Big Dog is back at the front of the pack, with a healthy heart and the horizon’s promise ahead.
Ever considered weight-loss surgery? Wondering if it’s right for you? Check out our virtual “Meet the Surgeon” seminar to learn about Sarasota Memorial’s Bariatric Surgery program, its recent accreditation from the American College of Surgeons for safety and success rates, and the procedures we offer.
While we have temporarily canceled our in-person Meet the Surgeon events, you can still learn all about the program through a pre-recorded video hosted by one of our board-certified Bariatric surgeons. All you have to do is register for the online seminar, and we’ll send you link to access the video. You can watch it at any time, from any device.
SMH Bariatrics Program Highlights
- Personal approach: Sarasota Memorial’s bariatrics team tailors each patient’s treatment plan to fit their unique needs, goals and lifestyle.
- Full-service program with continued support: The Bariatric and Metabolic Health Center offers comprehensive weight-loss services that include non-surgical and surgical solutions.
- Minimally invasive surgery: Many procedures are accomplished using da Vinci-assisted robotic surgery or laparoscopic surgery, which allow for less invasive procedures with shorter recovery times.
- Board certified: All SMH bariatric surgeons are board certified in general surgery.
- Experience: 830+ procedures
- Four types of surgical procedures: We offer the three most popular bariatric surgery procedures for treating obesity — Gastric Bypass, Gastric Sleeve and Adjustable Gastric Band — as well as revisional surgery.
- SMH’s results exceed national averages: Sarasota Memorial patients report dramatic improvements in their obesity-related health conditions (comorbidities), results that beat national averages* in the major comorbidity categories: sleep apnea, GERD (gastroesophageal reflux disease), hyperlipidemia, hypertension and diabetes.
- Our patients achieve after 1 year: Excess weight loss via gastric bypass (72%), success in staying on-goal (87.6%)